So, I just got back from a screening of Captain America – Civil War, and I thought I’d just share a couple of thoughts on the movie. I’ll try to limit spoilers, but definitely encourage you to go and see this film.
- This is a long movie, with a running time of nearly 2 and a half hours, and it doesn’t help when the cinema played literally 25 minutes of ads beforehand. Go to the bathroom before it starts.
- Spider-man is great, the casting is spot on in having an actual teenager play him (or at least closer to than the past 2 versions), and he’s got some really good writing, even if he is only in the film for a few scenes.
- Black Panther is a great character with an appropriate level of bad-ass. The only downside is we need to wait another year and a bit to get any more back story to the character himself.
- There’s a lot of character in this movie, and it really relies on you having seen both the Captain America movies, both the Avengers films, and Ant-Man. You need to actually be a follower of the Marvel series for this one, but at this point, Who isn’t?
- The first half of the film is a bit weak, with a lot of jarring, immersion breaking scene transitions where they just cut from one scene to the next, and splash the location on the middle of the scene. Confusingly, they stop doing this in the second half of the movie, but at least it’s for the better.
- The choreography and editing in the fight scenes is a strong point, with lots of free flowing action, and you can mostly tell what’s going on and who’s punching who.
- The carefully selected Nerd-gasm moment in the middle of the film with the all out superhero brawl that was teased in the trailers throws back to that strange opening to Avengers 2 where they all line up for the camera. They do a similar thing in this film, but it’s ever so slightly less in your face than someone just saying “Is this what you wanted?”
- All in all it’s a pretty good film, I give it a 4/5, someone around 75-80%
Day 19 – Picture of a game setting you wish you lived in.
New Bark Town, the first town in my favourite Pokemon games of all time, Gold & Silver. Living here would simply mean, Pokemon. So yeah, pretty obvious.
Day 18 – Favorite protagonist
This is a tough one, as in most games, the protagonist tends to serve as a stand in for the player themselves, and as such will either be a blank slate, or a character that you build to represent yourself. I also tend to play more online, competitive games with less story, so I tend to deal with less traditional protagonists.
However, one of my favorite series of games is Mass Effect, and the story is pretty solid, with plenty of emotion. Therefore, my favorite protagonist would be Commander Shepard from this series.
Day 17 – Favorite antagonist.
Friend, Enemy, Potato, Glados has done it all. From the beginning of Portal, she guides you though the test chambers, poking and prodding it Chel’s emotions attempting to illicit a response. Voiced and written amazingly, Glados is one of the most standout and memorable antagonists in recent memory.
Day 16 – Game with the best cut scenes.
Pretty much any Blizzard game could fill this slot, but I’ve been playing Diablo 3 a lot lately and the cutscenes in this game are just beautiful. There are a couple of videos on youtube showing them off if you want to check them out.
Day 15 – Post a screenshot from the game you’re playing right now.
Half way through!
I’ve just started playing Undertale today and enjoying it so far.
Day 14 – Current (or most recent) gaming wallpaper.
Nice easy one today
Day 13 – A game you’ve played more than five times.
The easy answer would be Dota2 (5828 hours and counting) but I’m going to go with a different style of game. Tales of Symphonia is a JRPG and one of my favourite games of all time, and there will probably be more posts about it in this series.
Day 12 – A game everyone should play
Mass Effect (1, 2 or 3)
A great series of games with a huge engaging storyline and great gameplay, and this makes it very easy to become emotionally invested in the characters. One of my favourite series of all time, and available on most platforms.